Become THE hotspot with our 50 amazing bar promotions! Download our free guide now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Flies

Question Fruit Flies

Anyone have a problem with fruit flies in their bar?

I use a ton of juices, etc, and seem to get lots more fruit flies than i want during the summer months.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to get rid of these guys? I CLEAN the bar where we might spill, as well as the beer lines, etc very well, but still seem to get them.

Help!

we used to hang fly paper strips during closed hours. another trick is pour a tiny bit of tequila in a rocks glass and the next day you come in there will be a ton of those buggers dead in the bottom of the glass. Seems a little wasteful, but it is a good trick to catch them. They love tequila

We don't seem to have them as bad as we used to, but I can't really tell you why.

They tend to come from 2 major sources:
    1) Trash or foodstuffs left uncovered for long periods. If I didn't have enough manpower to get the trash cans all emptied at closing, I made sure I had tight fitting lids on everything. In addition to this, you have to cut off their food supply - cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning, and put caps on your liquor pourers at night, and rubber band plastic wrap over your draught faucets. The worst infestation I ever had was a week before opening when the construction guys were leaving their half-eaten MacDonald's food laying around with the doors open. See my tip below that saved the day. They're mostly nocturnal beasties, so it's a good idea to put lids on all your trashcans at night whether or not they're emptied (the residual gook that leaks past your trash can liners are still very much yum-yum to them.) Keep you bar wiped clean and caulk or seal all cracks. Pay special attention to cleaning the area around trash cans at closing - never allow bartenders to toss bottles or trash towards the cans because yum-yum gets sprayed everywhere to the bugs' delight. For the same reason - look especially hard around areas where residual yum-yum might lie overnight - the areas where wine and frozen/juice drinks are prepared, soda gun drains, and empty those beer bottle cap catchers.

2) Drains. A certain breed live and multiply in drain pipes and come out at night to feed and meet chicks. Your exterminator can give you some stuff to pour in your drains at the end of the day - some operators pour a few capfuls of bleach in their drains (and urinals) but this is REAL bad idea if you have stainless steel pipes or gas traps, because undiluted bleach will pinhole stainless in a flash. Run lots of steaming hot water through all your drains at closing (don't forget your urinals, draught beer drain and ice bins - they won't live in the ice bin, but there's an airgap between the ice bin drain and the gray-water drain and they will live and breed down below.) You can also invert rocks or highball glasses over your sink drains after treating them as an extra measure.

It's easier to keep from getting them than to get rid of them, because once you got 'em, they multiply real fast and are real stubborn about leaving. The best thing you can do is to cut off their normal food supply and then give them a food supply that is even more irresistable than what they usually go after. There are a number of liquors that do the trick (cheek mentioned tequila, especially the cheaper stuff that's less refined, and I'll add in Yukon Jack and some sweet rums like Parrot Bay - just look at which bottles get the most "floaters" and you'll get the picture.)

But, my secret weapon, the all-time best attract-'em-and-kill-'em elixer is Verdi Spumanti - it's actually a malt bev that comes in single serving bottles, and it's dirt cheap to boot. Pour a couple of fingers in a few snifters or red wine glasses before you leave for the evening and you'll be amazed at what you find in the morning. I quashed a big-time infestation in just a few days with this magic stuff. I don't know what the combination is that does the trick - I tried many other wines and malt-bevs and sugar-and-detergent water mixtures and none of it worked - the ones I had never went near the flypaper strips. I actually don't sell the Verdi Spumanti anymore (tastes like crap) but I always keep a case on hand next to my canister of R-12 refrigerant in the store room just in case the supply dries up. By the way, I prefer to use the glasses that have a declining top opening because it makes escape a bit more difficult - you sneak up on the glass in the morning, put your hand (if you're not squeamish) over the rim and swirl it around to get the side clingers into the big sleep drink. Then, DON'T pour them down a drain - either flush them down a toilet (I always double-flush to make damned sure) or pour the bug/spumanti gunk into a zipper-lock bag and get it out to your outside trash bin immediately.

If the fine folks that make Verdi Spumante are reading this - just consider relabeling your product - it worked for Avon's Skin-So-Soft!

As an owner, manager or employee, a fruit fly infestation is a big red flag that tells you in no uncertain terms that YOU HAVE A CLEANING PROBLEM that needs to be addressed agressively and immediately from ceiling to floor in every square foot of the premises. You need to choose between them and your customers, because they will populate your restaurant in an inverse proportion.

Baudtender

David Guest
    Great Information.

yes, thanks so much, very helpful!

That was the best information I have seen on the problem. I frequented an establishment that had them so bad you couldn't sit at the bar. I have printed this and delivered it to the manager there. He wasn't too amused that I had tried to help him. But he admitted he would try it.

THANKS

Nice Post

Baudtender,
    Very informative post. I still use my pest control guy every 2 weeks, but maybe I won't have to now! I love this Board!!

Milk - I still have my pest control guy come through for preventative maintenance every couple of weeks - the problem is that even in a dead sterile environment, bugs can still be brought in clinging to beer cases, produce deliveries, etc.

I've got to relay a funny/horrible story that happened just this afternoon. I'm fixing to lease out a bar/restaurant I own and was taking the new tenants around town to see the other bar/restaurants, meet the owners, etc. Went into a local dingy tavern just before lunch and the bartender was pouring liquor from a bottle into another through a funnel with a Mr. Coffee type filter in the funnel. Well, if you are following this thread, you pretty much know what was going on there - being a bottle-beer drinker and having seen a lot worse in places like that it hardly got a raise of my eyebrows. Ordered a Coke and conversation got around to my Verdi Spumante death elixer. The bartender gave me a big smile and said "No, we've got something MUCH better" and pointed to the ice bin.

There, to my horror, was one of those insecticide-laced no-pest strips hanging over the bin and actually touching the ice in the back. Me, I look down at my now-empty glass of Coke with just the ice remaining. Arggghhhh. No refill, no thanks!

I had a discrete talk with the manager and he blew me off like a rube. Bet the health inspector will have better luck getting their attention.

As a followup, I did find a link to the stuff you treat your drains with that I mentioned in an earlier post:

Drain treatment goop

Baudtender

EAST/CENT. NEBR., RIGHT ON THE NORTH EDGE OF HELL

It's that time of year again!!!!

This is just another helpful hint from your "old uncle Lar" . What is it Uncle Lar?.... Well I'll tell ya Little Tommy (ya gotta be from Chicago).
    Anyway, we have battled these little suckers for years, spraying and traps and all kinds of different stuff. When one of my servers tells me to leave about an inch of Merlot in the bottle, cork out, in the morning it's unbelievable.
    We had a ton of those little guys dead drunk and definitly no longer a threat. I put one bottle by the tap heads and one by the work table (where we cut fruit, it seems no matter how good you scrub the area they still hang around) and put plastic shot glasses over all the pourers.
    I'm very happy to say that I think the problem has been solved.
    So simple and sooo easy and no toxic sprays or strips.

Have a good one,
    Rick
    Last edited by BARTENDER 54; 05-25-2008 at 08:45 PM.

We don't have much of a problem (yet) but just in case we put all mixers into the walk-in at night and use screened pourers on the most syrupy liquors. We also cover the pourers at closing.

I just hired a bartender who used to work in Las Vegas. She said fruit flies were a big problem where she worked. She suggested mounting little fans ......the kind they use in nail salons.....above the speed rail and our liquor display area. She says the flies like still air. The fan creates enough air movement to keep them away. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon.

Don't forget about those new snap cap liquor pourers:

http://www.barproducts.com/
    A cleanup guy.

One of my health inspectors told me to get little fans as well, or just a box fan if you can keep it out of sight (they're so beautiful). We put one up and we don't have any problems. Plus the bartenders love me now that its a little cooler back there for the summer.

I didn't believe it would work, but I gave it a try anyway...glad I did!
    ~Thanx

We pour bleach in the draft drain as well as the sinks and the urinal. We cap the bottles every night with dixie cups. In Texas, you will be required to pour out a bottle that has any fruit flies in it, if it is found during a bar check. Another lure for fruit flies is apple cider vinegar. Pour 2 to 3 ounces in a cup and drizzle some dish washing liquid on the surface and slightly mix it. The flies are attracted to the apple cider vinegar but get trapped under the dish soap.

This is great info.

obviously cleanliness is going to be key to keeping out fruitflies. Make sure your wells and speedrails are clean as sometimes they get overlooked. Also make sure your bar towels are properly taken care of (we use a big ol bucket of hot water and bleach and soak them overnight). Since they can also live in drains we also fill our sinks and wells with ice every night.

gnat trap !!!

jrock,
    We do the vinegar and Dawn thing, Use little 4oz portion cups and set them around the bar area after closing.. cuzz there is that little thing called vinegar breath...not to pleasant to the folks at the bar...they work really well...and that's a good thing cuzz those suckers are very active this year..
    I think we're sitting on top of gnat whorehouse or something. Ya kill five and a thousand show up for the funeral and don't leave....
    And like you, we scrub down everything at night and every now and then through the night we dump a glass of hot water down the tap drains and make sure ALL the trash is out and spray the trash containers w/ a bleach mix.
    And those little suckers are everywhere...as of last night, we now have spray bottles with a Dawn/water mix and if we see any flying around, ya lay out a mist, coat their little flight flappers and they go down in a ever so small blaze of glory....But we're getting rid of them 1 at a time.

Good lick...oh, that's cool, Freud or big fingers??? Good luck,
    Rick

Try a little DDT, will give the drinks an extra kick also. LOL

Bartender54, I really had a hard laugh reading how you describe those little buggers. this bar had a lot of them when we first bought it and with constant cleaning and covering all open liquors we may have one once in a while. I will try those glasses of wine or vinegar solutions. cups over the drains are a good one too.

the MIracle cure

I got something called hot shots at wal mart as suggested by my exterminator. In 2 hours I am not kidding they were gone after having them all summer and fall. In 25 year I have never worked in a bar that had them as bad as we did this year, I mean swarms. Its a rectangle plastic box with vent like cutouts and a hanger about 6-8" long, 5.00 each. And they havent been back. I am keeping some on hand for next year

2nd attempt at this, the 1st one must have gone to the International Space Station...

owneroper,
    I went to "Stuff Mart" and picked up a couple off the "Hot Shots"....WOW, that is really amazing...put one in the kitchen and one behind the bar Thurs. nite...Fri. morn I went in the kit. I saw 1..he saw me and flew right into the wall. I am so very glad you shared that info. No more vinegar traps for me or the gnats...I am really impressed.

Thanks again,
    Rick

it's a miracle aint it.

At one bar I worked at we started getting fruit flies due to lazy bar staff. I found a bug in a bottle once and that was it. We cracked the whip and made sure the staff did a basic patrol before they left as to not depend on the cleaning crew the next day. We also started covering everything with cling wrap, and I went to the sporting goods store and picked up a big bag of non-painted golf tees to cap off the pour spouts on the bottles. Worked Great! Super Cheap and Easy!

i took care of a terrible fruit fly problem by filling all tap drains and sinks and any other drains with ice each night. they reproduce in the drains and this makes it too cold for that to happen. after trying every solution i could find, this finally worked!

I make sure all drains are closed tight at the end of the nite. I ensure bartenders wipe down bottles, wipe out speed rails, and all garbage out of bar. I went to Home Depot and bought white caps that fit over pours (the saran wrap is now eliminated thankfully). Portland, golf tees a great idea! My goal (much to the dismay of my bartenders) is to be the cleanest bar in town.

Flyweb

This is a great non-toxic non-zapping insect control.

There were some great ideas here but if you have time check out the Flyweb on our website.
    Joseph Thompson
    Alcohol Controls, Inc.
    404.262.2327 Fax
    joseph@alcoholcontrols.com

Thread Information