Become THE hotspot with our 50 amazing bar promotions! Download our free guide now

Thread: how to make my bar successful

how to make my bar successful

we opened our bar in nyc almost a year ago and it still hasn't taken off. weekends are good, but how do we get a consistent crowd during the week?

First, what are you attempting to do with this place besides just open the doors?

Then, look at what other places are doing in the area (1.5 mile radius) and think about how you can either compete with them or carve your own niche.

I'm not from NYC (actually, the opposite coast) though there are really very few bars that kick ass every night. Many bars have their hot nights be them the weekend or the middle of the week, and they're generally two different crowds - and the people that do actually go out all the time, don't want to go to the same bar they went to on wednesday on saturday too, that'd just get pretty old fast.

In any case, not really knowing what type of bar you're running, and being from a far off place, one suggestion would be to have food special happy hours (two are always good). That has been a pretty successfuly trend here in Portland, mostly pioneered by the Pacific Coast Restaurant chain. The only drink special they have is $1 off a pint of beer, but they have a special happy hour food menu priced from $2 to $3. If you can keep the food quality high, items unique, and the prices low, you can make your money back on the full price drinks.

Cheers!

Josh @ BarSim
    www.barsim.com - The Ultimate Bartending Simulation
    www.allaboutbartending.blogspot.com

Please answer these questions: do you serve food
    what is your targeted customer (age, sex, income)
    Do u have cover
    dance, video, country, ect
    club is 1 year old or u have owned it for 1 year?
    How many people do u hold
    primary source of advertising?
    primary source of entertainment

the bar is a cross between a lounge and a bar. We don't serve food right now. We have different music throughout the week. The best thing we are known for right now is having parties for groups. I want to try and leverage this as we are already known as a good place to have a party. capacity is 125. Any thoughts?

Bar has been around, we just took over in April of last year. Right now we don't advertise really, don't have the money to pay a lot on that.

average age is 25-30, great crowd.

games, we do music on the weekends, karaoke a couple a week nights, a open mic night one week night and the rest we fill in with leagues , Darts , Pool, shuffleboard, running all these tings is time consuming but they all put people in the seats, I will be more than glad to turn you on to whatever help you need getting started towards any of the things we do to welcome people thru our doors
    www.TheRiverRoost.com

David Guest
    Is the 25 to 30 demo a white collar or blue collar crowd?

guess he wasn't THAT interested
    www.TheRiverRoost.com

entertainment

I believe that your best asset is your bartenders!!!! Events that cost little are great, bands suck unless they have a good following. But, it all comes down to your bartender. Bad bartender = bad business, great bartender = great business. Spend you money on better bartenders and the return will be so much better then most entertainment. Female bartenders are a must, and they have to be very out going, sexual, and play with your patrons heads. Nothing keeps someone coming back for more, than a bartender who can make every man think he is gonna take her home tonight!!! But, of course the bartender knows better than to let this happen.

just my 2 cents

Thread Information