Get Arcade Gaming Tablets for your Bar or Restaurant!

View Poll Results: What is a bar/restuarant managers responsibilities?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • post new threads

0 0%
  • post replies

0 0%

Thread: Bar/Restaurant Manager duties

Question Bar/Restaurant Manager duties

I have run my own business for some time and am getting a bit burnt out. I would like to hire a bar/restaurant manager but am unsure of what the industry considers a managers responsibilities. Anyone have a managers responsibilites or proceedures in their manuals? HELP

DID YOU FIND ANY MANAGER POLICY MANUALS
    I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN IT ALSO

mgr duties

coming from a long time manager now turned owner i feel that the manager is responsible for everything that is involved in your operation. don't try to work them till they are dead and pay them well and you will find loyal people. let them feel that they are a critical piece of your biz ( and they are!) you already know what is in a manual just sit down and write it. i did it in about a week only about an hour or so a day on my free time. good luck.mike

As a owner whose currently a manager whose currently training someone to be manager. You have to trust this person because they should know and do everything that you do. And i mean everything...even the little secrets! Except the other secret cameras! I dont think there is a manual if there is it probably doesnt cover everything. I dont think there is enough time in this world to write that manual. You would need a lifetime to write about different stealing techniques.

Lightbulb mgr duties

ya like i said everything !mike
    www.thesaltydog.net

good management skills come from a lot of experience, diversification, honesty, and a host of other qualities. The G.M. must run the club as his own. That is why you must pay them well, and or offer profit sharing. You must also include them in planning, promotions, etc. there are tons of other things I could say, but I think you get the idea.

If you notice, clubs that don't pay well get one of two types of management. They either hire bad managers that run their club into the ground, with high turnover. Or they hire good managers who quite rather quickly because of low pay, again, high turnover.
    Michael Cappa
    NightClub/Restaurant Consultant

I agree with both Rocco John and Extreme.

A manager must possess all the knowledge and experience involved with the daily tasks (sometimes minute-by-minute) of operating an entertainment venue. The manager SHOULD have an excessive knowledge of what it is that venue is premised on-specifically. If you have a manager with just book keeping skills, then you have a book keeper with a chip on their shoulder.

In most instances or in my experience, the venue usually has a General Manager that oversees EVERY aspect of the fascility and deligates the functioning tasks to the manager such as register receipts/money collection, employee scheduling, etc. etc.

If you do NOT have a GM or a manager that has the knowledge, hands-on experience (of every position), and understanding of the venue's needs, then you'll be spinning your whels constantly.
    No matter what NEW concepts you come up with, if you don't have the ability to run them they will never be profitable in the long run - IMO.

*Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. For instance, venues that have high traffic turn over where college students frequent have the ability to employ idiots as managers because th traffic flow is so great that the profit margin is high. Regardless of the venue, college kids just want to drink and get laid when they go out - for the most part.

If you want to run a top notch establishment, then you need to hire trust worthy people with integrity that know what they're talking about.

Case scenario (and question) back to the original poster (and anyone else willing to comment):

If you indeed find that competent manager who knows all the ins and outs of the business, has worked every station, can indeed replace you and in fact, take the club even further creating greater profits that you were able to accomplish... how much would this person be worth to you? The answer will greatly help me with my current situation (I'll be at "the bargaining table" shortly.. and while I want to ensure the contract is very reasonable to the investors/owners... I also want to make sure that it's lucrative enough to me so that I don't start asking myself why I didn't just remain a bartender and walk with $150-$600 in tips per night (depending on the night).

Replies from any experiences owners/managers is greatly appreciated.

Management

www.RestaurantOwner.com has excellent job descriptions for all positions for the F&B industry. They are in word form and can be changed as needed.

It’s funny to hear owners speak of paying managers “well” - its funny because a “well” in some parts of this country (USA ) can be much deeper than in others. If you are an owner looking to sincerely find a person that will freely treat your business as if it were their own you will indeed need to compensate them for their efforts - but you will never do that with a salary. If you want this person to be your walking /talking replacement - a person that will continue to build on what you have started, then the only way for the deal to work is by offering that person a minimum living salary & a very generous monthly performance bonus. If this manager can walk the walk and talk the talk - they should have no problem letting their actions pay their salary.

If the Bennigan’s down the road pays their GM 60k + a year and you want your manager to compete with them verses joining them - offer your manager 30k & 25% of the operating profits above your past years performance. Do that and a good manager will not only surpass 60k in earnings but increase your sales, profits and staff morale. A real manager will take that deal - but remember , if you offer it, you must stand behind it - NO MICRO MANAGING - you must allow them the latitude to do the things they feel are necessary to get the results they are aiming for. You can certainly set time parameters such as 90 days , 6 months, etc.. but never interfere during those periods because if you do , you will send the message that you no longer need that manager.

Be sure you are ready to hand over the reins because if you are not - quit kidding yourself and go back to work.

- H

Thread Information