Become THE hotspot with our 50 amazing bar promotions! Download our free guide now

Thread: Temporary Liquor License in NY state

Temporary Liquor License in NY state

Hi Friends,

I have not posted or been on the site in a long time but I have a question for the forum. I just opened up a catering hall in NY (Staten Island) and I just received my liquor license. (Got it in about 3 months for those who are curious - I got lucky)

My question is this: I have another bar opportunity with no key money and a brilliant location that I have been tracking for 2 years. I am pretty sure now that I have a license in my name, I can apply for temporary permit at another location and operate there from day one. In the interim, I would apply for another license but I would not have to wait around for it.
    Can anyone shed some light on the topic.

This question is very specific to NY liquor license holders as the rules...

Thanks for anticipated help!

Don't take our word for it, contact the NY Liquor Control Board or ABC or what they call it and ask your question.

nick8100,

The fact that you have a NYS liquor license for one location does NOT mean that you can get an immediate temporary for a different location. You have to apply for the new license just like you did the first time, go through the same process, and wait for another 3 months (or possibly longer.)

If, however, the location already has a valid liquor license, you can have it transferred to you. In this case, you can obtain a temporary permit immediately (or as soon as you submit the required fees and documentation.) I think the temp is good for 3 months, although I don't remember exactly, and it will continue to be renewed for as long as your transfer application is under review. This requires the cooperation of the existing license holder.

Good luck to you.

temp liquor license

hello
    i read your story and im facing some what of the same issue. do you rent your liquor license with your catering service.I own a bar in brooklyn and I have a profitable opportunity for you and your business. heres my email roimgmt@gmail.com.

Quote Originally Posted by nick8100 View Post
    Hi Friends,

I have not posted or been on the site in a long time but I have a question for the forum. I just opened up a catering hall in NY (Staten Island) and I just received my liquor license. (Got it in about 3 months for those who are curious - I got lucky)

My question is this: I have another bar opportunity with no key money and a brilliant location that I have been tracking for 2 years. I am pretty sure now that I have a license in my name, I can apply for temporary permit at another location and operate there from day one. In the interim, I would apply for another license but I would not have to wait around for it.
    Can anyone shed some light on the topic.

This question is very specific to NY liquor license holders as the rules...

Thanks for anticipated help!

[QUOTE=Rainee;42963]nick8100,

The fact that you have a NYS liquor license for one location does NOT mean that you can get an immediate temporary for a different location. You have to apply for the new license just like you did the first time, go through the same process, and wait for another 3 months (or possibly longer.)

I agree. Your lucky to have to wait for three months only. When I applied for mine, it took like a year before it was granted.

Thread Information